Credits


Sources, Finding Tools & Assistance

8 Clarendon Crescent: Quality B&B in Leamington Spa

Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History Records online - Ancestry.co.uk

BillionGraves – Cemetery & Headstone Records

The Bodleian Library / John Johnson Collection.

British History Online – The core printed primary and secondary sources for the medieval and modern history of the British Isles

The British Library – for research, inspiration and enjoyment

Buckinghamshire Family History Society

Carcanet Press

Cleveland, North Yorkshire & South Durham Family History Society

Durham Records Online – Search Census and Church Records

Find a Grave

Trace your Family Tree Online – Genealogy & Ancestry from Findmypast – findmypast.co.uk

Flickr, a Yahoo company – Flickr - Photo Sharing!

FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices

Google Books

Grace's Guide to British Industrial History

Hartlepool History Then & Now

Histories of UK Potters and Pottery Manufacturers – Doulton History 1854-2005

Kerrywood Research, London

The Morgan Web Site

National Archives

National Library of Scotland – Map Images

Newcastle University

Oxfordshire Family History Society

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Slough History Online

Saint Laurence Church, Slough

Street View by Google Maps

University of Oxford

Wandsworth Heritage Service – Wandsworth – Better Libraries

Warwickshire County Record Office – a part of Heritage and Culture Warwickshire

Welsh Newspapers Online

Winter & Company – Protecting people, business and property


Photos & Images

   

Home Page:

The portrait of William George Nixey appeared in the book "Two centuries of Soho, its institutions, firms, and amusements" by John Henry Cardwell, published 1898 by Truslove and Hanson, London.

The photo of the five sizes of stoneware bottles produced by Doulton & Co of Lambeth for W G Nixey of 12 Soho Square appears by kind permission of Andrew Nixey.

   

Chapter 1 – The Early Years (1737–1841)

The photograph of St Lawrence's churchyard and church is a Flickr photo by Diamond Geezer.

   

Chapter 2 – Marriage and the In-Laws (1791–1845)

The pen and ink image of Christ Church (Greyfriars) Newgate, London appeared in the 22nd March 1845 issue of The Illustrated London News. It was found at Wikipedia, and was uploaded by Writer128.

   

Chapter 3 – The Growing Family (1846–1860)

The photograph of Nixey's Black Lead shop sign is by Grace's Guide to British Industrial History.

The photograph of the patent for the ornamental design for use on tablets of W G Nixey’s black lead is by Judy Lester, it was enhanced by Nivard Ovington, and appears with the permission of The National Archives; Ref: BT 43/65/81481.

The photograph of Nixey's Patent Revolving Till appears by kind permission of Wotton Auction Rooms Ltd..

The photograph of 12 Soho Square appeared in the book "Two centuries of Soho, its institutions, firms, and amusements" by John Henry Cardwell, published 1898 by Truslove and Hanson, London.

   

Chapter 4 – Venturing Into Pastures New (1861–1870)

The section of the 6-inch Ordnance Survey map of Upton and Slough 1868-1875 is Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

The images of Nixey's Garden Labels and Nixey's Patent Revolving Till are by Grace's Guide to British Industrial History.

   

Chapter 5 – The Death of William George Nixey the Elder (1870)

The portrait of William George Nixey appeared in the book "Two centuries of Soho, its institutions, firms, and amusements" by John Henry Cardwell, published 1898 by Truslove and Hanson, London; the image was edited and enhanced by Nivard Ovington.

The photograph of the large marble monument at St Lawrence's churchyard appears by kind permission of Julia & Keld.

   

Chapter 6 – The Next Generation (1870–1884)

The photograph of Marie Anne Chown's memorial appears by kind permission of Julia & Keld.

The photograph of St Mark's, Battersea Rise, London is from Wikimedia.

   

Chapter 7 – The Fletcher and Bell Families (1805–1952)

The portrait of Dr. Thomas Bell Elcock Fletcher is Copyright and appears by kind permission of Warwickshire County Record Office (Ref CR2941/20/1).

The modern-day photograph of 8 Clarendon Crescent, Leamington, appears by kind permission of David and Christine Lawson.

   

Chapter 8 – Another Decade of Change (1886–1896)

The image of the authentic box that once contained Nixey’s Cervus Bag Blue is by kind permission of Andrew Steer.

The advertisement of Nixey’s Refined Black Lead, Soho Square Blue, and Berlin Black is taken from the Taunton Courier of 24th October 1888. It is Copyright by D.C. Thomson & Co. Ltd., and was created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

The Black Lead advert was reproduced as a postcard in 1904 by Raphael Tuck & Sons, with permission from Messrs W. G. Nixey.

The image of the Royal Arms is edited from the Bath Chronicle & Weekly Gazette of 17th November 1893. It is Copyright by D.C. Thomson & Co. Ltd., and was created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

The image of Nixey’s Black Lead poster for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee 1887 is by Andrew Nixey.

   

Chapter 9 – The Golden Jubilee and Onwards (1897–1912)

The photograph of the horse drawn tram outside India House, Gloucester, appears by kind permission of Gloucestershire Archives; reference no. SR38/29157/8.

The image of theTuck Celebrated postcard of Nixey’s Blue is by Jon Nixey.

The three images of the novelty advert "I Always Use Nixey's Refined Black Lead" are Copyright and appear by kind permission of The Bodleian Library / University of Oxford / John Johnson Collection; shelf reference John Johnson: Oil and Candles 1 (36).

The advertisement for Nixey’s Boot Polishes appeared in the London Daily News of 5th July 1904.

The image of the advertisement from the Aberystwyth Observer can be found at Welsh Newspapers Online.

The photographs of the Certificate of Incorporation of W. G. Nixey Ltd. and the Signatories to the Agreement are by Judy Lester, and appear with the permission of The National Archives; Ref: BT 31/20009/115780.

   

Chapter 10 – The Death of William George Nixey the Younger (1912)

The portrait of William George Nixey appeared in the book "Two centuries of Soho, its institutions, firms, and amusements" by John Henry Cardwell, published 1898 by Truslove and Hanson, London; the image was edited and enhanced by Nivard Ovington.

   

Chapter 11 – The End of an Era (1913–2014)

The photograph of the wooden shop display for W G Nixey's Celebrated Black Lead appears by kind permission of Severn Beach Antiques.

   

Chapter 12 – The Lives of the Grandchildren (1869–1992)

The photo of the commemorative stained glass windows at Benington is a Flickr photo by jmc4.

The photograph of Francis Lennox Holmes was found at The Morgan Web Site.

   

Chapter 13 – The Great Grandchildren Keep the Family Growing (1895–2010)

– –

   

Chapter 14 – Meanwhile, In Other Matters ... (Coming Soon!)

The portrait of Edward Nixey appeared in Harker’s Bon Marche Time Table of January 1892; the image is Copyright and appears by kind permission of the British Library Board (Ref: P.P.2500.hb); it was edited and digitally enhanced by Nivard Ovington.

The old photograph of Henrietta Street appears by kind permission of the Hartlepool Museum and Library Service; it was edited and enhanced by Nivard Ovington.

The photograph of 1–9 Cavalry Gardens, formerly Meaburn House, is an edited version of a Street View by Google Maps from August 2017.

   

Chapter 15 – The History of Springfield House (1856–2016)

The photograph of the southern face of Elvian House appears by kind permission of Michael Day and Slough History Online.

The photograph of Queen Mary at the opening of the Princess Alice Home for Totally Disabled Sailors and Soldiers appeared in the Dundee Evening Telegraph of 14th May 1919. It is Copyright by D.C. Thomson & Co. Ltd., and was created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

The poem “Blacklead Castle” by Keith Bosley from the book “A Chiltern Hundred” (ISBN 0-85646-176-8) is Copyright and appears by kind permission of the publishers, Carcanet Press.

The photograph of the Nixey Close street sign is an edited version of a Street View by Google Maps from July 2014.

The photograph of the front view of Elvian House appears by kind permission of Baylis Media Ltd / Slough Express