Chapter 9

Not the Only Nixeys in Wales


For quite some time, I thought that our little Nixey family group was the only one to live in Wales, but over time, I found out how wrong I was. My uncle Jack told us that he had heard of Nixeys living at Swansea in the past, and, when my wife and I were looking through our phonebook, we noticed there were other Nixeys living in the same county as us, some in Monmouth, and others in Newport. What I was keen to find out though was whether my grandfather was the first to bring our surname into Wales when he moved here from Somerset. I soon found out that he wasn’t!

In chapter 1 of The Blacklead King website, mention was made of James Nixey who had been born in Slough around 1787. His great grandson, Joseph John Nixey, who was born at Fulham, London on 25th December 1883, the son of Joseph and Sarah née Laremore, appears to have been the first Nixey to live in Wales. In the 1901 Census, he was working as a servant for John and jane James at Broncwrt Farm, Llanfairarybryn, Carmarthenshire. In 1908, he married Jane Evans in the Llandovery area, and they had a total of 9 children: David Joseph 1909 who died 1910; David Joseph 1910; George 1912; Idris 1913 who died 1913; Mary E 1914; Annie J 1915 who died 1915; Joseph M 1917 who died 1917; Maggie Lorraine 1918 who died 1918; and Cyril Reginald 1921 who died 2001. They were living at Glantawe Row, Ystradgynlais, Glamorgan at the time of the 1911 Census, and Joseph was working as a coalminer hewer. He died in the Llanelli area in 1963 aged eighty.

There are actually another 3 Nixeys to be found in the 1911 Census of Wales. Edwin Joseph who was born on 7th February 1889, and his brother Arthur John who was born on 16th December 1891, were the sons of Edwin John Nixey and Annie Maria née Gladdy from Oakley, Buckinghamshire. Edwin was working as a Labourer and boarding in the household of Edward and Jane Willis at Bryn Derwen, Penllegaer, Glamorgan. He died in 1916 aged twenty-seven, and was buried on 20th March at Llangiwg, a parish in the Swansea Valley, which nowadays is situated about six miles from the M4 motorway. His brother appears as John Arthur Nixey in that Census, working as a Milkman and living with William Anthony and his family at Gelly Gynera Farm, Gorseinon. After moving back to his home area, he married Lily F White in 1916, and they had 9 children who were born in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire areas: Arthur R G 1916, Gerald and Leonard (twins) 1919, John E 1921, Geoffrey R 1923, Clifford 1924, Kathleen 1927, Barbara J 1928, and Joan G 1935. Arthur died in Oxfordshire in 1978 aged eighty-six.

their cousin, William thomas Nixey, the son of Joseph and Ellen née Taylor, was also living in Gorseinon, working as a Shunter’s Haulier for Thomas Thomas who was a Livery Stable Keeper at Mason’s Road, Loughor. He married Ellen Palmer in the Thame area of Oxfordshire in the Spring of 1922. Their first daughter named Marjorie was born early the following year. William, Ellen and Marjorie then emigrated to Manitoba, Canada, sailing from Southampton aboard Cunard’s vessel “Alaunia”. They departed Southampton on 20th May 1927, and arrived at Quebec eight days later. Their second and last child, another daughter, Frances, was born at Winnipeg soon after.

The Winnipeg Free Press Thursday, August 20th,1942:

In honor of Mrs J. More, the former Miss Marjorie Nixey, a bride of July 28, a luncheon was held at Moore’s Saturday by her fellow-workers. Mrs More was presented with a set of blue boudoir lamps and an iron by Miss Mary Williams. The guests numbered 16.

The Winnipeg Free Press of Tuesday 18th December 1962 reported the following regarding John Paton More, the husband of Marjorie Ellen Nixey, under the heading “To Face Murder Trial”:

John Paton More, 38, of 330 Harvard Avenue West, Transcona, was committed Tuesday for trial on a charge of capital murder. More, who is charged with shooting his wife, Marjorie Ellen More, also 38, will come up for trial at the spring assizes in February. Mrs. More was shot through the forehead at point blank range early in the morning of Thursday, Sept. 27.
At a three-day preliminary hearing before Magistrate G. L. Cousley in provincial police court last week, Mel Myers, crown attorney, presented 34 witnesses and listed 104 exhibits in the case against More.
The exhibits included a .22-calibre long-range rifle with which Mrs. More was shot, according to an RCMP ballistics expert.
The court was told that the gun had been bought for $9.95 two days before Mrs. More’s death in the downtown department store where she had been a clerk for 18 years.
Elvin Coombe, in charge of selling guns and ammunition at the store’s sporting goods department told the court that a man giving his name as J. More, of 330 Harvard Avenue, had bought a rifle identical to the one found by police beside the dead woman’s bed, on Tuesday, Sept. 25.
Albert Johnston, floor superintendent for men’s furnishings at the store said a man whom he had taken to be More phoned on the morning of Mrs. More’s death to say she would not be in for work that day.

William Thomas Nixey died in Winnipeg on 16th December 1971, and his wife Ellen died there on 28th January 1983, both being buried at the Brookside Cemetery.